When we talk of real people we dont talk stories any more. We talk of what is actually happening in real time.
Let’s see what Dastkar has really been successful in doing. It has tried to organise thousands of artisans part of 100 different craft groups and helped them come under one umbrella of Dastkar where they can sell to contemporary india.
Dastkari Haat Samiti on the other hand has created informative craft maps of different parts of the country, which gives the information about handicrafts, and handlooms of India! They have had over 70 bazaars providing strategic marketing linkages to hundreds of artisans.
What if we were to get these organizations a support network in REAL TIME – Many organisations have helped the artisan externally but how can they help themsleves.
- Can they be empowered with information in their language and make decisions of thier own. Maybe
- Can they be empowered with information about different SHG’s (self help groups). Maybe
- Can they be empowered with information about grameen banks and schemes. Maybe
- Can they be empowered with information about their craft and the related materials. Maybe
- Can they they be empowered with information about other artisans in their vicinity. Maybe
- Can they they be empowered – YES – what they do with the information and how they use it in the subsequent years is for all of us to see – but why should we be afraid to empower them
We all need to understand that we live with history. Our crafts people are living that history and reinventing ancient methods to suit our daily needs. Lets evolve in a scientific manner to help that kaarigar who has toiled for several years and give them the independence they deserve through information.